Join us for the 6th baking/cooking session of The Chef's in the House. We welcome back our guest chef, Bianca Choy, who will lead a session on baking raspberry friands.
June 08, 2020
The Chef's in the House: Raspberry Friands with Bianca Choy
100g blanched almond meal (ground almonds without skin)
75g all purpose flour, sifted
200g icing sugar
6 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 punnet of fresh raspberries (or blueberries)
1. Friand tins or muffin tins (1/2 cup capacity) for 12
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 180 degrees fan forced
2. Melt the butter in a small pot and leave to cool
3. Grease and flour 2 x 6 friand baking tins (use a muffin tin if you don’t have a friand tin)
4. Sift the flour and icing sugar in a bowl, then stir in the almond meal
5. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy
6. Add the flour, sugar and almond meal to the egg whites and mix through with a spatula
7. Add the melted butter and vanilla essence and stir until well combined but don’t over mix.
8. Pour mixture into the baking moulds so they are half filled
9. Place 3 raspberries on the top of each friand
10. Bake in the oven for 24 minutes
11. Insert a knife into the centre. They are ready if it comes out cleanly.
12. Leave the friands in the tin to cool for 10minutes
13. Use a palette knife to help release the friands from the mould and transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling
14. Sift some icing sugar over the friands before serving (optional)