Join us on a walking tour of Joo Chiat and learn more about one of Singapore's understated neighborhoods. The tour is guided by an alumnae and CAA Board Member, Amelia, a hardcore eastie who grew up and still lives in the area - she will show you the spots where locals eat, shop, and hang out. (She may even show you the kindergarten and church she attended when she was younger!)
The starting point is Paya Lebar Square. (Directions to be given closer to the date.) We will walk south on Joo Chiat Road and end up at East Coast Road for drinks. We will learn about the history of Geylang Serai (not Geylang the red light district) and who Chew Joo Chiat was.
1. Paya Lebar Square
2. Geylang Serai Market
3. Joo Chiat Complex
4. Kway Guan Huat Joo Chiat Popiah (with colorful murals for photo op)
5. Sha Zah Confectionery
6. Koon Seng Road shophouses (photo op)
7. Rumah bebe
8. Singapore Visitor Centre
9. Kim Choo Kueh Cheng
10. 328 Laksa
11. Pigsfly bar (beers and drinks to end the tour)
Date and time:
Saturday 11 February 2023, 3:00-5:30pm
$5 for members, $10 for non-members. If you are unsure of your membership status, please contact us at [email protected] Participants will need to pay for their own food, drinks, and shopping.
- It is a 2.5- to 3-hour walking tour. Please make sure you are able to walk for this length of time without the possibility of sitting down till the end of the tour.
- The tour will go on, rain or shine. Bring an umbrella or a poncho in case it rains. Bring a fan or a hat to protect you in case the weather is super hot.
- There is no bathroom break on this walking tour.